Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Do we never outgrow our need to talk to our mothers?

Yesterday Shelley broke the news about Spencer's needing hearing aids for the rest of his life.  I share her hurt in this.  My heart goes out to Spencer and to his mom.  This feels like another instance of something affecting a loved one that previously only happened "to other people."  (Other people -- pas moi -- get cancer; other people's daughter's best friend is killed by a drunk driver; and now it's other people's kids have to wear hearing aids.)

So Shelley needed to share with her mom and her mom needed to share with her mom.  (Last night's prayer/inventory started with, "Oh, Mom, I feel so bad.  Are you in a position to help Spencer?  How about your mom?  Could Gramma Dora do anything to help him?)  I guess this points to a not-necessarily-doctrine I have hope in:  that those who care about us in the spirit world are sometimes in a position to help us.  Not that they would be able to change circumstances, more of a fitting the back to the burden effort.

And how about Gramma's mom?  Gramma Sally, can you help Spencer?  And back through that long, unbroken chain of mothers to Mother Eve?  Will all my moms do whatever they can to help those of us who are still in mortality?  Because we sometimes hurt so bad, and we need all of our moms' help always.

4 comments:

shelley said...

Thank you for being my mom and always being there to listen. Thank you for caring, for prayers, and for your lovely post. When I was going through my divorce, I received a blessing that assured me that in my time of need I would be able to remember the lessons I learned before I came here, as I sat at the knee of my Mother in Heaven, and that those lessons would help me through my difficult time. That's another not-necessarily-doctrine that I believe in--that She too loves us and is aware of us. I love that I have family to share in my joys and sorrows. And I'm grateful for my faith in a heavenly family who does the same.

Menner said...

I know I'll never grow out of my need for you.

Emily said...

I remember someone telling me before I had Benjamin that when you have a new baby, what you really need is your mom. I thought it curious, until I had Benjamin, and now I agree. When anything hard happens (no matter if its a good hard or a bad hard), you want your mom.

And what more does a mother want than to care for her children? Me to Benjamin. You to me to Benjamin. Your mother to you to me to Benjamin. And on and on, each flying the kite, as you say.

I am so glad you are my mother.

JaeReg said...

I'm sure I have a string tied to that kite somewhere. Mothers mitigate trauma - and I am beyond lucky to have two mothers to get me through the rough patches.

Jonah says he's "really sad about Spencer - that he has to wear hearing aids for the rest of his life.
For the rest of his life...?"
(and that bit with the dot, dot, dot, question mark came directly from Jonah's instruction).
"And I also got real tears when I heard about Spencer."