Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Auspicious Days revisited

As it turns out, last Wednesday was THE auspicious day to join Weightwatchers again.  I think I've lost about three pounds (of the nine I had gained eating bag after bag of Halloween candy).  I'm thinking of making a chart so that I can cross off the pounds as they go away.  My goal is that I can honestly say to myself "I will NEVER see that particular pound again."

I note with regret the passing of Dr. Jim Pearce yesterday of ALS.  Those of you who knew him can perhaps read his obituary online at the Deseret News.  I'm sure I told all the family this, but I will always treasure his memory for something he did for Dad and me. . .  I was just finishing at the beauty salon when Dr. Pearce called Dad's cell phone to tell him that the cancer had invaded my lymph nodes (but I didn't know then that it had invaded every single one of them under my right arm).  I assumed this was a death sentence and my body felt as though a great wind were rushing through it.  Adrenaline, perhaps.  When we arrived at Dr. Pearce's office, he calmly and very quietly explained the diagnosis he had written on his notepad and gave to me:  "Metastatic breast cancer."  I wept.  We talked a few minutes.  In the coming months and years, I was to be grateful for his saying, "I can't tell you what will happen.  Every cancer is different and follows its own path."  Then he said, "If I seem cold, it's because I cried before you got here."  I had only seen him twice before this and was touched by his obvious loving concern.  RIP, Dr. Pearce, and thank you.

1 comment:

Menner said...

I have missed Dr. Pearce ever since he retired. At least he went quickly. It could have been so much worse.